Welcome to my blog! Hoping to provide some information and insight to daily topics! :)
Feel free to email me with any questions you have!
AskingAnastasia@gmail.com

05 November 2010

Birth Chart!


Hello Readers!!!!

Another New Moon will be approaching this Saturday, and in honor of that, I decided to have a  birth chart done!

Birth charts are used to "map out" a specific time and place of an individual's birth on the Earth, in order to gain specific insight about that individual.  These charts note specific information like the position of each planet when born, and its relation to the position and influence of other planets (and the sun/moon).


Now, I understand that astrology is linked to astronomy, and by no means am going to give you a lesson in trying to explain the intricate details of charts (like aspects or houses), but, I will briefly explain the basics.


SUN SIGN-  This is your birth date.  When you usually read your "horoscope" in the paper, this is the most general categorization of characteristics.  As a Scorpio- I am considered "passionate, mysterious, vengeful, loyal, and hyper-emotional" to name a few.  Because of the broad generalizations though, most people do not fully understand astrology.
They think, "Yes, I have x,y, z, but that could apply to anyone.  I have traits from most signs, not just one."
This is where a birth chart can come in handy! Yes, you might not identify 100% with your sun sign characteristics, but according to astrologists,  there are other influences that affect each individual, contributing in specific ways to their personality.


MOON SIGN-  This depends on the position of the moon when you were born.  The moon sign is said to shed 'more light' (pun intended) in trying to understand one's personal, emotional self.  The position of the moon, in conjunction with your sun sign, can tell you a lot about a person's instincts, habits, and private life.

My moon sign is in Capricorn, and I prefer doing more practical, worthwhile things that produce tangible results.  Because of this, I tend to feel that I am a failure unless I get a highly respected and important position in life (very much a Capricorn trait).   In love, if I make an emotional commitment, I am dutiful, patient, and sign up for the "long haul".


RISING SIGN/ASCENDANT-  This is the sign of the zodiac (rising sign) and degree that was ascending (ascendant) on the eastern horizon at the specific time and location of your birth.  The way to find the rising sign/ascendant can be done by the simple equation:
ASCendant = \arctan ({-{\cos A}/({\sin A \times \cos E + \tan L \times \sin E}}))
Or you can plug your info into an ascendant calculator.  It is important to know the time and location of your birth to calculate this, as it is dependent upon your position in relation to the horizon.  (Hence, the reason I didn't want to go into too much detail with this posting.  Maybe astrology is a bit more complex than you might've thought?)

In my birth chart above, my rising sign is indicated by the darker horizontal line.  The ascendant is where it intersects with the Chart (at Scorpio) on the left side.  It continues across to the right side of the chart, the intersection of Taurus.  (This is called the descendant, will be discussed below).

The rising sign is thought to be the sign that embodies both the sun and moon signs.   The combination of Sun, Moon and Ascendant describe what you want (Sun), what you need (Moon), and the style in which you will go about getting it (Ascendant) (starslikeyou.com.au).  Because the ascendant is specific to a particular time and place, it signifies the individual environment and conditioning that a person receives during their upbringing, and also the circumstances of their childhood.  The ascendant reveals the ways you present yourself to others, as well as the ways in which you immediately respond to the world around you.   *Generally, the rising sign falls into the "First House", but does not always occur.  I have a Scorpio Rising, and essentially, this is the Sun Sign characteristics personified.  (I won't bore you with the details).


DESCENDANT-  The point 180 degrees from the ascendant.  The descendant signifies the sign of people you are the most attracted by, you easily get along well with and you are most likely to start a love relationship with, if backed up by other zodiacal aspects.

This is actually the SOLE REASON I started reading into astrology.  I noticed that some of my very best friends were all within days of each other.  Why, all the sudden, do I have to buy ten birthday presents!?!?!  I have found that some of my best, long-lasting relationships are those with Taurus.  If you are single but don't want to stay that way- the Descendant is a good thing to know, when "screening" for potential relationships!

MIDHEAVEN/MEDIUM COELI (MC)-  The Midheaven is one of the most important angles in the birth chart. It traditionally indicates career, status, aim in life, aspirations, public reputation, and our life goal.  The individual will identify with and admire the qualities of the astrological sign on the Midheaven.  (This could be the reason my sister and I get along so well!)   The sign on the cusp of the midheaven quite often indicates what kind of career, vocation, or reputation in life the native will pursue. It also reflects how an individual reacts to stressful situations.

This line on the above birth chart is the darker vertical line passing from Virgo to Pisces.  Where the line "intersects" at the top is the midheaven.  My Virgo midheaven can best be summarized:
They have the courage and honesty to look deeply into themselves. They use what they've learned to serve as an unselfish guide, helping others explore the workings of their own minds. They're also good at using language as a healing tool in their daily activities. Their strong verbal skills could lead to literary or scientific creativity.

Not one to beat around the bush, Virgo Midheaven folks like to cut to the heart of situations. They're excellent students because they learn quickly and easily and question anything that doesn't fit. They make excellent teachers.
I find this brief excerpt quite interesting because I use this blog as a medium- with my attempts to look honestly into my own life, and I try to provide insight for others to relate to.  Additionally, I have always held positions of teaching and coaching my entire life.  I find this kind of "work" fulfilling, rewarding, and the only thing I can picture myself doing.

"LASTLY"  (My sister makes fun of me for saying this word)

IMUM COELI (IC)-   The Imum Coeli is said to refer to our roots and also to the least conscious part of ourselves. It symbolizes foundations, beginnings in life, what may have been experienced through parental inheritance and homeland influences, need for security and relationships with the home and family life. It also may describe the circumstances that we will encounter at the end of our lives.  This is 180 degrees away from the Medium Coeli/Midhaven.

In my chart above, my imum coeli is in Pisces.  Since this is the influence upon home, some adjectives that describe Pisces can be applied to my own upbringing and relationships within my household, as well as the kind of household I will have as I grow older:  (Positive:) Compassionate, Adaptable, Accepting, Devoted, (Negative:) Oversensitive, Indecisive, Escapist.


The sun, moon, and the four "angles" (rising, descending, MC & IC) are the most important influences in one's personality profile from a birth chart.  How each planet interacts also add other dimensions, however, they do not have the influence like the former.

From my teaching experience, I know that some people are "visual learners."  With a chart, and a "key" you can visually see specific aspects of your personality.  You can learn new things about yourself and how you interact with others.  You can better understand why you act the way you do in certain situations.  You can see what you are more drawn to, as well as things that push you away.


If you would like your own birth chart, there are certain "free sites" on the internet.  They might or might not provide the interpretations, however.  If you would like me to do one for you, let me know!   askinganastasia@gmail.com



Anastasia

Always remember:  "We rise by kneeling, we conquer by surrendering, and we gain by giving up" (The life lesson for a Scorpio Rising sign)

2 comments:

  1. Cousin...wayyyy too much time on your hands....LOL
    I am gonna do mine too!
    PS...LOVE your singing voice :)
    LOVE YOU!!
    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how to read charts Anastasia?

    ReplyDelete