Welcome to my blog! Hoping to provide some information and insight to daily topics! :)
Feel free to email me with any questions you have!
AskingAnastasia@gmail.com

08 November 2010

Pure Rant


Hey readers, 
This posting really isn't any substance, other than the fact that it's just a pure rant.

As you might know, I am obtaining my Master of Science Degree in Organizational Leadership, online. The way the University is structured, each student takes one class per month.  The classes are only 4 weeks long and each covers 4 MONTHS worth of information.  

Today, at the end of my 2nd week of class, I had a "midterm exam" covering 8 chapters worth of information, as well as all lectures.    Because it is an online class and we have information at our fingertips, the University generally advises professors to put a time limit on exams.  For instance, today's test was 25 multiple choice/True-False, and I had an hour to take it.

I have always been a great test taker, however, I studied all eight chapters, and the test was STILL DIFFICULT.

What made it horrible, was the fact that there were very similar answers to each question.  So, a question took me a LOT longer to focus and spend time on.  Furthermore, most answer selections had multiple claims/parts.  And, as we remember from grade school- "If ONE part of the answer is wrong, the ENTIRE statement is wrong."  So I had to make sure that every part of every answer was legitimate. 

A question looked like this:

1)  How do you define  ______ theory?

a) xxx, zzz, yyy
b) xxxx, zzz, yyyyy
c) xxxx, yyy, zzzzzz
d) a & b
e) b & c
f) all of the above


 I'm not saying make the answers obvious, but come on!  With a time limit of one hour, that was approximately 2 minutes per question, which was really not enough time for someone who studied, let alone, trying to refer back to many concepts, within 200 pages of material, and sort through the madness of each option!   UGH! Talk about horrible.

PROMISE to self and future students:  

When I am a professor, I will NOT give you questions that mess up your mind like this. 
 Just not nice! 

Thanks, I feel a little better.


Anastasia


Always remember:    "I do not have to be perfect, and I am okay with not being perfect!"  *sigh!* :(

No comments:

Post a Comment