Welcome to my blog! Hoping to provide some information and insight to daily topics! :)
Feel free to email me with any questions you have!
AskingAnastasia@gmail.com

10 October 2010

Day trip to Xcalak, Mexico!



Hello my patient readers!!!!

9AM- This morning I awoke to an early early early call from my friend JOE.  He called and asked me if I'd like to go on a day trip to Mexico, with our friends Jorge and Michelle of La Playa Lounge

Originally, my first thought was- "NOOOO I just want to sleep!"  I went to bed last night by 5am, so I hadn't been asleep for long when he called.  However, I changed my mind.   

I'm really glad I did.

We finally left for XCALAK, Mexico (population 400) at around 11am, as we are on "Belizean Time" and planned events don't start until at least an hour after the scheduled time. 


Map for you :)

We spent about half of the trip (30 min or so) on the boat inside the Belize reef, but the other half was on open water.  The waves were somewhat intense on the way there- we flew out of our seats a few times!  The boat was almost completely out of the water at one point too! We arrived around 12pm in Xcalak, Quintana Roo, but 1pm Mexico time.


This is a view from the town, looking out to the Caribbean.  Where we "parked" the boat.

Once we got there, we ate at the only restaurant open- Costa de Cocos.  We ate delicious ceviche with bits of shrimp, fish and octopus, served with homemade chips and jabanero sauce.  Following the ceviche, we ate chicken empenadas and beef soft tacos.  Definitely worth the 2-3 hours we spent relaxing at the restaurant.

Afterward, we went on a stroll through the town.

My friends walking through Xcalak

Joe, Anastasia, and Dave walking through town

Another pic of the town

I LOVED the fact that there were volleyball nets everywhere.  Talk about MY paradise!

After taking a short "walking tour" of Xcalak, these are the events that followed:
  • My friends were all thirsty again for MAS CERVESAS. 
  • We came across a bar on the main street that was closed
Jorge pointing out the closed bar to Glenn on the left

  • We walked around the back to get the owner to open up
  • We got eaten alive by mosquitos
  • I almost got attacked by a random stray cat that jumped out of the stucco of a building in the back alley
  • The owner of the bar said he'd open up, but we had to walk back around to the front
  • Joe stepped in dog poop (Ok, he was millimeters away from it)  YOU'RE WELCOME JOE.
  • Went inside the bar to hang out for another hour
Anastasia & Joe

We left back for San Pedro around 5pm, Mexico time.

On the way back, I saw the most amazing sunset I've ever seen!!!  (This is the picture at the top of the page-  HERE)

In addition to the most beautiful sky- one that looked as if it were on fire- we also had some hilarious moments.  Those moments aren't mine to share, however, I'll probably post the pics and videos a little later.  :)

Sunset on Ambergris Caye, Belize


Some of the most fun times of your life are the spontaneous opportunities.  Don't miss out on creating wonderful memories!




Anastasia


Always remember:   "You only have one chance at life-  Live freely- Love deeply"

2 comments:

  1. Amazing day, with amazing people. I'm super glad that you decided to come with us, hun. We'll try to do it every so often. Oh. Day of the Dead, Playa del Carmen. YOUR BIRTHDAY. Let's make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget about 2and Annual Taste of Playa international food festival www.tasteofplaya.com Nov 21st - worth going to. We got vip passes last year and had a ball.

    ReplyDelete